October 10, 2005

Buddha Poem

You taught me to be here with my full attention,
To cherish each moment as precious:
More sacred than memory
Or the dreams that tomorrow may bring.

Today
Is the milk that sustains us
And in it is a beauty and wonder
That I used to search for,
Imagining it was far yonder.

TodayIs a flower in crescendo,
Vibrant with the full colour
Of all its yesterdays.

Here and now, I am the sum total of all my days.
You have taught me the mindfulness of being
And I honour this, with gratitude and stillness:
The song of you, present in the core of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What can we do as Buddhists to help the suffering around us everyday without interfering with karma? Or is it our karma to reach out and help heal our own sufferings by showing compassion in an interactive manner? Is it ethical to offer serene buddha-type smiles and blissful words to a grieving world if our hearts are living in the shadow of indifference? Where does true enlightenment begin and smug superiority end in our daily paths?