January 27, 2006

Early Morning Buddhist Inspiration - 1/27/2006


Buddhism and Democracy

15. Truth is the best guarantor and the real foundation of freedom and democracy. It does not matter whether you are weak or strong or whether your cause has many or few adherents, truth will still prevail. Recently, many successful freedom movements have been based on the true expression of people's most basic feelings. This is a valuable reminder that truth itself is still seriously lacking in much of our political life. Especially in the conduct of international relations we pay very little respect to truth. Inevitably, weaker nations are manipulated and oppressed by stronger ones, just as the weaker sections of most societies suffer at the hands of the more affluent and powerful. In the past, the simple expression of truth has usually been dismissed as unrealistic, but these last few years have proved that it is an immense force in the human mind, and, as a result, in the shaping of history.

His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!

First I have to tell you that I absolutely love early morning buddhist inspiration. It gives me food for thought each and every day. And I have to admit I have stolen your key line "what you think about grows" of course I give you and your site credit where it is do.

I was wondering if the Buddhism and Democracy quotes have been published and if so under what title and where can I get them. In today's turbulant world, they bring me back to the simplicity of what we as a global community should be striving for.

be well,
Kristen